Monday, June 21, 2010

My New Home: Puerto Montt, CHILE

Well I've finally settled into the South and have met my new family, which includes my host mom Rosie, my host teacher Rosita and my school Bosque Nativo.

I live in a 2 bedroom house with Rosie and she always keeps the fire going, so there is no need for central heating! She is a quirky character who plants flowers in the middle of the night, buys more plates and silverware than she has room for, and lets me live my life comfortably (vives tu vida!) She also has chocolate all over the house...we were meant to be roommates!

Rosita, my host teacher, is young (about my age), fun and super accommodating. She plans the material and tests and I follow up with speaking and listening activities. Sometimes they go well and sometimes the kids stare at me with absolute blank faces. And some of them are only interested in American swear words. I tell them to learn 10 useful verbs 1st and then maybe I'll clue them in on some bad words. (I think I will win that one.) And we've had some classes off lately in order to watch Chile play in the World Cup (2-0 so far!) It's been exciting!

Puerto Montt lies within the Lake District of Patagonia, Chile. Our port is the most popular in the region and so there are a lot of amenities downtown, like a mall and cinema! I just have to take a cheap colectivo (shared taxi) to get there! I still need to do some more exploring, but there's plenty of time for that later.

So one month into it here in Chile and it's going well. It rains almost everyday, but I'm in the school most of the time anyway.

Stay tuned for more!

No comments: