Monday, July 2, 2012

Another Seasonal Job...

If only I could be a camp couselor forever....and in turn would forever live with my mom.

I LOVE MY JOB this summer!!!!!!!!!!   I am working for Cincinnati Park's "Explore Nature" camps.  Basically, I get the same 15 kids every week and teach them cool things about conservation, trees, animals and the creek.

Here's what I've learned so far:

10% of Cincinnati consists of parks, and our park system is considered one of the best in the nation!  We even created parks in our sister city, Munich, Germany.

Fossils are abound here in Cincy, and the most common is the Bryozoan (looks like ancient coral).

Honeysuckle is incredibly invasive and is competing with the local Spice Bush.

Skunks have 3 spray options and can hit you in the eye from 10 feet away!

Owls can turn their heads 270 degrees.

There are no poisonous snakes in our county (thank God).

(and I can finally identify poison ivy!!!  And have not gotten it yet...)

So far I've canoed on the Little Miami River, handled our pet snake, Willie, collected clay from the creek and made ornaments with it, and have cleaned the bathrooms a lot.  I cannot believe I am getting paid for this.  I mean, really, every day I just take the kids and hike with them or play awesome games together.  I am seriously learning just as much as they are during the animal talks my boss gives and the training week that included identifying birds, trees, plants, flowers and animals.  It's just like Squaw Kids, but in the summer!



Now if only we could crank down the humidity...

No comments: